Monday, July 25, 2011

Play Dough and a Weekend Trip

We went out of town this weekend.  It was a fun time on a farm in spite of the heat.  North Carolina is having the same extreme heat we are having here in VA.  My dad came and stayed at our house with Amos (our hound who suffers from car sickness) and the chickens.  He called me to say how much he enjoyed the chickens.  They really are so much fun to watch and play with!

Play Dough Rainbow
Anyway, we had the chance to give the homemade play dough a workout.  It held up wonderfully and the 9 kids who were staying at the farm house had fun with it!  I will say that using Kool Aid to color and scent the dough is something I probably won't do again.  The scent turned a bit rancid.

The recipe I used called for:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup water
2 Tbs oil
Food coloring
I cooked it over med heat until it turned into the right texture.

I have used several different kinds of pans to make the dough and a non-stick surface is absolutely the way to go.  There was very little clean up with non-stick, and I like it when there is very little clean up!

So, about the farm weekend... We stayed in a tiny little farm house in the middle of acres and acres of cotton.  We spent more time inside than we would have liked, but the heat was just too much.  We did manage to get outside long enough to fit in some skeet shooting, blueberry picking and a tractor ride!

Charlie and the Tractor
Tractor Ride

I look like I belong, huh?


Fields of cotton in bloom.  Lovely!

I'm participating in a Monday Link Up over at The Girl Creative!  There is a lot of fun stuff posted over there!  Go check it out!

The Girl Creative

2 comments:

  1. I want to stay in that farmhouse! I want to go on a wagon ride! Sorry it was so hot, bet the kids had fun together, the moms had fun together, the dads had fun taking the kids and moms on the wagon ride!

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I mention I lurrrrrrrrrve your new blog header?!?!

    ReplyDelete