Tuesday, January 25, 2011

In the garden...

There isn't a lot going on in the garden right now.  I have some onions and garlic in the ground and a little bit of lettuce that is struggling along.  We chose to not finish the cold frame, so the lettuce has not been covered all winter.  I'm wondering if it will take off when the days begin warming up...

I have, however, been making some seriously big plans!  I told you about my one-member CSA.  I have made an initial seed order.  I still have 5 beds to dig before I can plant anything, though.  I had to scrap a few of my ideas for the garden (like peanuts and popcorn) because they would occupy space I need for making sure I have produce available for a CSA share.  May 15th (the first share date) is going to be here quickly, and in order to be sure I have something to harvest by then, I have to get things planted at the exact right time.  So, I have been working on my garden calendar.  I have been putting planting and harvest dates in, with the hopes that it will help me stay on track.  I am using this really cool garden planning program to help me, as well.

Here is what my 2011 garden plan includes:
Spinach, peas, cabbage, carrots, onions, lettuce, potatoes, melons, bush beans, pole beans, sweet corn, tomatoes, sweet peppers, hot peppers, brussels sprouts, winter squash, summer squash, pumpkins, garlic, radishes, kale, tomatillos and butterbeans.  There will also be herbs: cilantro, sage, thyme, rosemary, lavender, parsley, mint, oregano, and dill.

Oh, and I have decided to call my little business Farm Mama!  I was thinking about trying out selling at the Goochland Farmer's Market this summer.  The future of the market is up in the air right now, though, so we will see what happens with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment