Sunday, August 14, 2011

What an Amazing Family I Have!


We hosted our second annual Cousin's Camp this past weekend and a great time was had by all!

I mentioned in my last post that this whole thing was my Mama's idea and she really was the brains of the operation.  She worked tirelessly on planning and preparation; delegating tasks, gathering supplies, writing lists and all those other things you Type A folks do.  If she was the brains, I was the brawn!  I got to make sure I had a clean house, plenty of toilet paper, a loaded first aid kit (my children had the only injuries this weekend, I think), and willing hands!  An army of the family's grown-ups converged on our house Friday morning and got the children ready for the day.

We did fun and amazing things like dyeing t-shirts with indigo (the stuff they use to dye blue jeans).

My Mama "Cousin Becky" with a camper.
Just out of the indigo dye bath!

 We played around all weekend with stilts that "Aunt Brenda" (she got to be an aunt because she is actually the only person who attended who wasn't at all related) brought.

"Aunt Brenda" and Theo

Eden on stilts
Cousin Kevin on stilts!
Even my 90 year old Mema took a turn on the stilts!
 We went on a nature hike following the (mostly) dry creek bed.  One of the children found a turtle shell, we collected rocks, we identified plants, animal homes and even scat!

Hiking!

Taking a break.
 "Aunt Brenda" gave us a wonderful colonial medicine demonstration.  She fixed many ailments and the children really got into the playacting (so did the dog).

Ali got her ear bandaged.

Doctor's tools
 Friday night, some of the campers left, but most everyone stayed the night.  We pitched our tents in the back yard, had a bonfire, roasted hotdogs and made s'mores.

Our tent and our home.

Misty Saturday morning.
We had breakfast before the others began to arrive.  It was nice to have a few moments to sit and relax before the action began again.


We spent the day Saturday preparing for Saturday afternoon's feast.  The children made brunswick stew, rolls, and ice cream and each family brought a side dish to share.

Peeling potatoes

Making rolls
 We had an amazing weekend!  It was a lot of hard work, the children had a lot of fun and we all earned a rest...

Daddy and Theo finally crashed!




I cant wait for next year!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment