Saturday, April 16, 2011

Some Spring Organizing

It's been a big week here at Hunter's Grove.  I have been cleaning and organizing like a mad woman.  In anticipation of purchasing a new sofa, we moved our antique sofa to the "master" bedroom and created a little reading nook.  It is lovely!
Reading nook in our bedroom.

Our 220 year old home has no closets, so, this week Brandon created a closet for me!  It is at the top of
the stairs right outside our bedroom.  I have 2 rows of closet rods, lots of rubbermaid bins and drawers a shoe rack and my label maker got a major workout!!  All of my hanging clothes had been in a wardrobe that was in the living room.  This new closet will go along way in reducing the "streak factor" in our house. ;)
Okay, so the shoes could be neater, but believe me, this is a HUGE improvement!
Another benefit of the new closet is that I will be able to get rid of the wardrobe!  There is really not a good place for it and it had just been taking up space as I moved it all over the living room.  I will be trading the wardrobe for a small desk my mom has.  The desk will be a perfect addition to our new little homeschool area!
My start to organizing our homeschool area.
Have I told you I will be homeschooling Eden for kindergarten this year?  We made the final decision a couple of weeks ago.  For those of you who do not know my firstborn, she is a super-precocious 4 year old with a November birthday.  She misses the school cutoff, but she *needs* to be doing school!  She is reading and doing simple math completely on her own and it would really be a disservice to her to not keep her challenged.  If we were to wait to send her to kindergarten until next year, she would be bored out of her mind and I fear that would cause my chatterbox to get into a lot of trouble!  Anyway, homeschool it is! The Hunter's Grove Academy officially opens the day after Labor Day.

We are still really enjoying the chicks.  They have tail feathers already!  We had a chick fall prey to Amos our hound.  Still not sure what happened other than he snatched a chick and killed it.  She had no breaks in her skin or anything.  It was very sad and I felt so guilty for letting him get her.  The kids took it okay.  Anyway, we are down to 7 chicks.

Yesterday I finally got a chance to get out in the garden for the whole day!  With Mema's help, I got the potatoes in (I think we will have around 40 plants).  I got another bed dug and planted cabbage, dill and radishes.  My Mama planted flower bulbs and a bleeding heart in my shade-loving perennial bed.  Brandon got the 3+ acres of grass cut and it looks fantastic.  I had forgotten how beautiful our yard is in the "green" season!

It is raining today, so we are going to keep it pretty low-key.  I may even try to catch a nap later!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, the pictures of all the organization you've done are fantastic! I feel like I'm right there in the room, looking at your homeschool area! And my personal favorite (being a book fanatic) is the reading nook in your bedroom. The kids love your baby chicks, and they love your kids!

    ReplyDelete