Monday, July 16, 2007

On babies...

I (Amy) went the other day to visit a friend's new baby. It's funny how quickly you forget the sweet newness of a tiny one; the "clean slate" of a fresh-to-the-world blessing.

Eden is only 8 months, but she has already lost that shiny perfection. She is quite regularly smelly and dirty. She has an opinion and a temper. She has experienced the pain of falling down (while trying out her legs) and of cutting teeth. She has been sad to see Mama leave and has been overjoyed to see her return.

While there is a bit of sadness that goes along with the loss of that freshness, there is a wonder, as well. What a thrill to see your child understand language, try out her legs, explore sounds with her mouth and tongue, experience the outdoors, and give love. Disgusting, wet, open-mouth kisses are beautiful and my heart feels as if it would burst when she's crying and pats me on the back.

It is a wonder to me that God allows us to have babies when they are so new, still so close to His presence. Jeremiah 1:5 says, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you". God "knew" Eden before I did! What a shock it must be for her to go from His lap to mine. What a responsibility we have to guide her back to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment