Monday, March 17, 2008

Springtime!

Gardening is civil and social, but it wants the vigor and freedom of the forest and the outlaw. ~Henry David Thoreau

I never had any other desire so strong, and so like to covetousness, as that one which I have had always, that I might be master at last of a small house and a large Garden. ~Abraham Cowley, The Garden, 1666

Some of you know that I long for the country life.  I want a big garden and chickens and fruit trees and a milk cow.  For now, though, I will settle for my crops in pots and my "herd" of worms!  

Crops in Pots
I am growing my garden in containers on the front porch!  Right now, I have strawberries in hanging baskets, an assortment of herbs (in pots and in the ground), peas, pole beans and lettuce and my  tomatoes are on their way (from Seed Savers).  I have a shady back yard and have never been able to have a garden there.  I decided that enough is enough!  My front porch and yard are south-facing and wonderfully sunny!  I'll post some photos soon!

Vermicomposting
Worms eat my garbage!  I have a worm compost bin.  I have a herd of Red Wiggler worms in a Rubbermaid bin.  They take care of our family kitchen waste.  When they finish with it, I am left with the most wonderful compost for mixing in to my soil and for fertilizing plants.  For more information, check out this site (it is a UNL site... just for you Sweetie)!

No comments:

Post a Comment